BC Transit Futures Game
"BC Transit took to the streets in the Future Transit Bus – custom-fitted with iPads loaded with an innovative consultation game."
BC Transit Futures Game
BC Transit needs to cater to a ridership which is planned to double within ten years; the requirement for this project was to consult and engage with the public on the possibilities and priorities for the future, and to provide insight for these long-term planning decisions.
Working with FCV and Common Junction, BC Transit took to the streets in the Future Transit Bus – custom-fitted with iPads loaded with an innovative consultation game designed and developed by FCV.
This unique approach generated TV and press coverage, and attracted members of the public to engage and open dialogue on the issues of transit planning, providing BC Transit with valuable insight and feedback.
The purpose of the game is four fold:
- To consult with the public and share knowledge about upcoming transit projects.
- To educate the community about the decision making process, including the financial parameters that transit planners are required to work within.
- To ensure that they realize that each individual in the community has different needs and priorities.
- To communicate that the results of the consultation to the decision makers.
The game is a custom web-application designed specifically for the iPad’s touch screen and multi-touch capabilities. The goal was an easy-to-use and fun experience for users.
The gameplay puts members of the public in the chair of a BC Transit decision maker – prioritizing which service features and amenities are most important, even allowing them add their own - Would they prefer longer transit operating times, a more frequent downtown to uptown service? Expensive rapid transit or frequent transit network service? Lastly, gamers allocate the resources to the projects based on their priority.
Once all steps are complete, users see their choices compared to other members in the community.
- Through this innovative solution, we are able to educate, inform, engage, survey and put into perspective the hopes and realities of BC Transit’s future.
- The Futures Game won the Innovation Award from Canadian Urban Transportation Association (CUTA) in 2011 for its creative delivery of its message to the mass audience.